How We Work
We have designed a streamlined application process that provides timely feedback at every stage.
After each step of the application, we’ll also be seeking your feedback so we can incorporate your suggestions and continue to improve our process and your experience.
The application has three steps. At each step, you will be notified of your eligibility to continue to the next part of the process.
Learn more about the steps to apply for funding below.
SMOs benefit from “a simpler, more supportive application process with greater guidance and direction.”
— ICN and CCIC Report, 2018
Step 1: Eligibility
Complete the online eligibility self-assessment. You will be notified immediately if you are eligible to apply for our program.
Step 2: Concept Note
If eligible, you will be invited to create an account on our online application system and submit your concept note.
Step 3: Proposal
Following the review process, organizations with concept notes that show the most promise will be asked to submit proposals. Top proposals will be offered funding to test their innovative solutions.
What you can expect
As a new fund, we anticipate making some adjustments to our process as we learn from our experience and gather feedback from SMOs.
We are aiming to respond to applicants according to the timelines listed below. We intend to have two concept note intakes per year, and we will announce those dates as they are decided.
- Eligible applicants will have 6 weeks to submit a Concept Note.
- Concept Notes will be reviewed and selected within 6-8 weeks.
- If your Concept Note is selected, you will have 6 weeks to submit a full proposal.
- Proposals will be reviewed and successful applicants will be notified of decision.
- After each step of the application process, we will send you a brief survey to provide feedback on your experience.
- You will receive clear communication and updates throughout the application process, including webinars to answer common questions.
|Intake 1 closed||Testing Period underway|
|Intake 2 Funding Decisions||July 2020|
|Intake 2 Test Period||Fall 2020, 6 to 15 months|
|Intake 3 Opens||TBC – Fall 2020|
|Intake 3 Concept Note Deadline||TBC|
|Intake 3 Proposal Deadline||TBC|
|Intake 3 Decisions||TBC – 2021|
|Intake 3 Testing Period||TBC, 6 to 15 months|
|Reports and Knowledge Exchange||On-going during Testing Period|
Note that all dates are subject to change.
Sign up for updates from FIT