For the latest and most up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit Canada.ca/coronavirus or contact the coronavirus information line at 1-833-784-4397.
SUPPORTING CANADIANS ABROAD DURING COVID-19
We encourage Canadians outside of the country to register in the Registry of Canadians Abroad to receive important updates (https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration) and that they check the entry and exit requirements of the countries through which they may be transiting.
We stand ready to provide consular services to Canadians to the extent possible, while respecting the decisions of local health authorities as they manage this public health emergency. Some limitations may be in effect in some areas of the world. Please note that issues concerning other countries’ visa and immigration rules are beyond the Government of Canada’s control and therefore need to be raised with the relevant country’s authorities.
If you are in need of consular assistance from anywhere in the world can call the 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613-996-8885 (collect calls are accepted where available) or email [email protected]. Due to the high volume of requests, we are working as fast as possible to respond to Canadians.
For any urgent need for assistance, on account of a medical emergency or otherwise, you may also contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad.
For Canadians who decide to stay abroad, we recommend they:
- monitor local media and follow instructions from local authorities;
- read the Travel Advice and Advisories for up-to-date information on the current situation in the country;
- check with health insurance providers to know more about their policies related to COVID-19, including whether they are covered for medical treatment if they become infected with COVID-19 or for extended stays outside of Canada;
- contact their province of residence regarding any health insurance issues;
- ensure they have sufficient supplies for an extended stay (food, shelter, medications, etc.).
COVID-19 EMERGENCY LOAN PROGRAM FOR CANADIANS ABROAD
Please consult the COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program for Canadians Abroad webpage for more information about how the government is providing financial assistance to Canadian travellers during this difficult time.
UPDATES ON TRAVEL ADVICE AND RESTRICTIONS
To limit the spread of COVID-19, some countries have put measures in place that restrict travel, including closing land borders and shutting down airspace. In some cases, these measures have led to the complete cancellation of flights. For information on border closures, please consult the UNWFP webpage.
We strongly recommend that Canadian travellers follow the advice of local authorities regarding how best to protect their health and safety, such as social distancing or self-isolating, as appropriate.
We also recommend that Canadians regularly consult the Government of Canada’s official travel resources:
- Visit Canada’s Outbreak update page and Travel advice tab
- Check our Travel Advice and Advisories before travelling
- Canadian travellers should register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service and follow @TravelGoC on social media to get the latest updates on the situation.
Travellers are encouraged to check with their insurance providers to know more about policy related to COVID-19, and to confirm their coverage is valid until their return home.
Access and admissibility into Canada is handled by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and it is their responsibility in collaboration with Public Health Agency Canada to screen travellers. For more information, please visit https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html